Graduates of the REEF program are eligible to become Cottage by the Sea Mentors. The underpinning goals of the program are for young people to be actively contributing to their community, school, home and at Cottage.
Mentor participants can develop a broad range of skills by taking part in a number of opportunities, including: outdoor adventure education (both at the Cottage and at offsite locations), accredited training courses, volunteer work, mentoring others, cooking programs and interstate travel.
Shining Star Scholarship opportunities allow our Mentors to pursue dreams that may have once seemed out of reach. These scholarships provide funding for approved training and equipment for Mentors.
The Mentor program includes graduates of our REEF program who are in Years 8 to 12 and remain in formal education. Camps run for 3-6 days. Participants attend up to 5 times a year.
- To explore identity and increase independence
- To develop self-belief and seek out opportunities
- To develop leadership skills
- To support others
- To participate at school and in the community
- To develop skills for life and employment
- To model responsible behaviour
- Excellent attendance and active participation in education
- Improved self-esteem and confidence
- Ongoing respect for self and others
- Further contribution as positive role models in the community
- Develop into a capable and dependable employee
- Continue to lead a healthy lifestyle, for mind and body
- Ongoing sense of belonging
See what some of our Mentors have to say about the program.